If you are looking at using an insulin pump therapy for your diabetes, there are important things that you must take into consideration. First things first, you need to find out the appropriate dose you need based on the type of your diabetes, your lifestyle, and the food you eat. To know all these, you must pay attention to every detail that your diabetes care team will tell you.
Before starting insulin pump diabetes you must learn the following.
- How to program the pump according to your appropriate dosage
- Identify the number of basal rate setting you will need and the type of mealtime bolus will be best for you as well as the schedule of insulin release before mealtime.
- How to count carbohydrates and the ideal carbohydrates you should eat.
- How to prevent the occurrence of low blood glucose during exercise
- Learn the different insulin doses you may be need during a sick day.
It is also important to learn how to manage unexplained high blood glucose levels and monitor sugar levels during insulin interruption to avoid diabetes ketoacidosis (DKA).