Abbot’s FreeStyleLibre Flash Glucose Monitor is a handheld device that can continuously measure sugar levels in a matter of seconds. It was launched internationally in 2014 and was approved for use by the FDA in the United States in 2017. The Libre features a “Flash Monitoring System,” an advanced technology that uses a handheld receiver or smartphone app. The users wear a small disc sensor about the size of a quarter coin in their upper arm, then hold the smartphone with an app or the handheld reader device near the arm where the disc is attached. The reader or app scans the disc for data, then the patient will see the results in a matter of seconds.
What else do you need to know about Abbot’s FreeStyleLibre Flash Glucose Monitor?
- The latest device approved in the US lasts in 2018 last for 14 days.
- Kids as young as 4 years old are also allowed to use the device
- The sugar (glucose) level data can be analyze using the handheld reader or the smartphone app design by Abbot specifically for the FreeStyle.
- The FreeStyleLibre Link App can display up to a 90-day worth of data. The patient can also share the readings for up to 20 people from one account.
- Does not require a routine fingerstick test to calibrate the system
- The disc sensor is more thinner so it is more discreet than other CGMs
- Direction for use is not complicated so it is less daunting
- More affordable because the Libre does not need a separate transmitter
- The Libre can be bought directly in any pharmacies
- Full view of the glucose data can only be accessed in the software platform.
- The data registered in the device is good only for 8 hours, if the patient does not scan in the period of 8 hours the data will be lost.
- Does not connect to as many diabetes devices compared to CGMs
What do some users say about the FreeStyleLibre Flash Glucose Monitor?
“Sensor does not stick well. I have been on a meter for three weeks and have gone through 4 sensors using surgical tape to keep on. This is an issue that needs to be addressed.”
“I think the FreeStyleLibre works well when it works. My husband has been using it for several months with no issues. However, the last 2 he has put on have not activated and worked right. I talked with our pharmacy and they said another customer just had the same problem.”